A record number of warehousing professionals and 3PL vendor partners converged on Phoenix, Ariz., March 23-25 for the 2014 IWLA Convention & Expo. A convention is really about the people in attendance coming together and sharing ideas – and the theme focused on this aspect of the supply chain and warehousing: It’s about your people. Many of the events and educational sessions during the convention followed that lead:
- Jim Abbott, a former Major League Baseball player born with one hand, spoke of his ability to overcome adversity to become a professional athlete. Abbott cited his upbringing and the people throughout his life who motivated him to achieve success as a young athlete in Michigan. A surprise appearance from another former Major League Baseball player and IWLA-member Andre Thornton, president & CEO of ASW Global, came as he joined Abbott on stage to help him demonstrate his unique process for throwing/catching the ball to the crowd.
- Economist Brian Beaulieu, CEO of ITR Economics, engaged the crowd by turning economic trend analysis into an entertaining experience – with a comedic twist. Though it was his positive report that resonated most with the audience—a bright economic future awaits with ample opportunities for growth in warehousing and logistics in the next decade.
- Passing of the gavel: 2013-2014 IWLA Chairman Paul Verst passed the gavel to 2014-2015 IWLA Chairman Tom Herche during the IWLA Business Meeting. Herche also looked ahead, citing the highly successful convention, new IWLA President & CEO Steve DeHaan, and strong support for IWLA government affairs initiatives.
- A farewell to former IWLA president & CEO: Joel Anderson received the newly named Jock Menzies 2014 IWLA Distinguished Service & Leadership Award. As Anderson accepted his award on stage he was pleasantly surprised by his daughter, Bethany Anderson Brown and her husband Clifton Van Brown, who were on hand to help honor the former IWLA leader.
- IWLA Convention & Expo App: More than 200 attendees downloaded the new convention app, sponsored by Zethcon. They used this popular tool to network and socialize during the event by checking-in, scanning QR codes and sharing photos via the activity feed.
- IWLA Political Action Committee Dinner: More than 60 people attended the IWLA-PAC Dinner, which supports IWLA government affairs efforts. Everyone enjoyed the night’s special guest appearance by comedian Jim Gossett, who had the crowd in stitches throughout his performance. (Gossett’s appearance we sponsored by MercuryGate.)
“I think the 2014 IWLA Convention was unique because everyone participated in the education and networking receptions—the event strengthened the pride that IWLA members have for the association and the camaraderie that is shared among warehouse logistics professionals,” IWLA Chairman Tom Herche says.
Attendees have a lot to look forward to: The 2015 IWLA Convention & Expo is March 8-10, in Savannah, Ga.